School Social Work Certificate

The UW-Green Bay School Social Work Certificate prepares social workers to apply for licensure with the state of Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction and obtain employment in a K-12 Wisconsin school. 

The certificate is available for practitioners who hold an MSW degree and are seeking school social work licensure and current MSW students emphasizing in school social work as part of their graduate degree. 

For more information about the School Social Work Certificate, visit the MSW website at

Required Courses
EDUC 695Special Topics (The Exceptional Individual)2
SOC WORK 751Social Work Practice in Schools2
SOC WORK 761Overview of Wisconsin DPI School Social Work Standards2
SOC WORK 762Wisconsin DPI School Social Work Standards Practicum3
SOC WORK 767Assessing Mental Health and Substance Use in Practice3
Act 31 workshop
Total Credits12

Admission Requirements

  • Master of Science in Social Work degree from a regionally accredited institution.

How to Apply as a Graduate Special Student (non-degree seeking):

  • UW System Application for Graduate Special Status:
  • Official transcript showing proof of an MSW degree sent to UWGB Admissions at directly from the institution that issued the degree. Note: students who completed their MSW at UWGB do not have to submit official transcripts. 
  • Resume or CV.
  • Two letters of evaluation found on the Social Work website here: MSW-Letter-of-Evaluation.pdf (, or one letter of intent to hire. 
  • International students will also need to provide the following documentation:

How to Apply as a Current, UWGB Degree Seeking Graduate Student:

Progress to Completion

  1. Candidate applies to the School Social Work Certificate program by submitting the appropriate materials.
  2. Candidate is admitted to the School Social Work Certificate program by the UWGB Program Chair.
  3. Student fulfills the program course requirements.
  4. Students completing a graduate degree program at UWGB will have the certificate posted to their transcripts upon conferral of their graduate degree. 
  5. Students who are not completing a graduate degree may request certificate verification from the Office of Graduate Studies at