2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog
Individualized Course Instruction
- Faculty approval is needed for courses that are individualized or coordinated by the student for a specific learning experience.
- Regular semester add and drop deadlines apply to these learning experiences.
- Approved forms must be submitted in the semester the learning experiences are taking place; students will not be retroactively added into these courses.
- Faculty must file syllabi and include appropriate information such as student learning outcomes, time commitments for work, additional requirements for placement including but not limited to criminal background checks, medical testing (such as a tuberculosis test) or other requirements outlined by a third party human resources department or site supervisor.
- The title and content of these individualized courses should not duplicate the title and content of existing courses.
- For each credit earned, 45 hours is the minimum number of hours to be dedicated to the learning experience over the course of the semester.
- A freshman or sophomore must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.500 and a junior or senior must have a minimum of 2.000 to enroll in an independent study.
- Faculty members have the ability to override this GPA requirement and indicate as such on the approval form.
Specific conditions or limitations apply to the type of learning experience in addition to the universal expectations.