2022-2023 Graduate Catalog Academic Catalog

Connect on youtube

Admission Process

The admission process is initiated by submitting the completed application form to UW System Admissions Application (wisconsin.edu) . The office notifies applicants whose files are incomplete. When the file is complete, official transcripts* of previous undergraduate work and any graduate courses are examined and factors affecting either admission to the graduate program or acceptance of transfer credits are noted.

The file is reviewed by the Admissions Committee of the program specified on the application form. The Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Studies, on the advice of the committee, either admits, provisionally admits, or denies the applicant admission.

If an applicant is denied admission, reasons for the denial will be provided upon request from the applicant to the program chair, along with an explanation of available options. Students denied admission may request reconsideration by writing to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Studies. The request should include a rationale for reconsideration. Applicants who have been denied admission may reapply after the lapse of one semester.

*In practice, the Office of Graduate Studies requires official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions of higher learning from which nine or more credits have been attempted. Study abroad transcripts are not required if a student attended an international University for one or fewer semesters. The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay retains the right to request additional official transcripts from all/or additional postsecondary institutions of higher learning attended by an applicant. Common examples include, but are not limited to, situations regarding verification of the completion of program pre-requisites, or situations in which a student’s GPA is near or below the required 3.0 standard for admission. Official transcripts are always required for the transferring of graduate credits. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to UW-Green Bay. Uploaded transcripts from students may not be accepted. 

Letter of Admission

A letter of acceptance is sent to each student upon admission to the graduate program. This information appears on the letter:

Student Number

The permanent student number of each applicant is a University-assigned identification number.

Starting Term

Indicates spring or fall term admission.

Type of Entry

Indicates the graduate degree program.

Tuition Status

Indicates resident or nonresident status.


Indicates admission status such as provisional admission.

Graduate Special Student (GSP)

Persons holding baccalaureate degrees or higher who wish to enroll in graduate courses or earn a certificate at UW-Green Bay but who do not wish to pursue a graduate degree or participate in the graduate program may enroll as a special student. 

Graduate credit will be awarded provided the student registers in graduate-level courses as a graduate special student and pays graduate fees. Credits for which neither graduate fees were paid nor graduate credit awarded cannot be retroactively converted to graduate credits. Graduate special students are not eligible for Independent Study, Internships, or Culminating Experiences (e.g. thesis or capstone projects). A graduate special student who decides to pursue a UW-Green Bay graduate degree must submit an application form to enter the degree program. Often the credits earned as a graduate special student may be applied toward the M.S. degree; however, this is not guaranteed.

Graduate Degree Residency Requirement

A minimum of 50% of graduate credits must be earned in residence at UW-Green Bay.

Admission with Advanced Standing

All graduate course work completed at UW-Green Bay or at other graduate schools prior to admission to the M.S. degree program is evaluated by the student’s adviser or graduate faculty committee. A maximum of 15 credits may be accepted from other institutions. A maximum of 15 credits may be earned as a graduate special student (GSP classification) at UW-Green Bay prior to matriculation into the degree program.

Credit by examination or for prior learning may not be used to meet degree requirements. Prior learning and experience may be applicable to demonstrate competencies for admission or to meet course requisites. More information is available on the Institution Assessment website about Credit for Prior Learning requirements and options.

Conditional Admission

Conditional Admission is limited to international students who meet Full Admission criteria, but still require evidence of language competency. Students must be admitted to an approved language program, with the Office of International Education working with students to coordinate options and document program completion to the Office of Graduate Studies. Conditional Admission is a promise to admit a student to a graduate program upon satisfactory completion of an approved language program.

Provisional Admission

Students who do not meet the minimum 3.0 GPA requirement or who have other deficiencies may be admitted on a provisional basis. Provisionally admitted students who receive at least a B grade in courses totaling nine credits of graduate work after acceptance will be fully admitted.

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer credit is defined as credit earned at an institution other than UW-Green Bay that is to be applied to UW-Green Bay graduate degree requirements. Acceptance of transfer credits is determined by a credit review by the Office of Graduate Studies and development of a program plan which includes the credits as part of a coherent program of study. Acceptance of the transfer credits is subject to review and approval by the program chair and the Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Studies. (see academic transfer policy)

Use of Special Petition

Requirements sometimes may be modified or adapted to take into account a student’s special educational or program needs. A request to modify a graduate program academic requirement is submitted to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Studies on a special petition form. The forms are available online at  https://www.uwgb.edu/graduate/students/forms/. If a change in a program requirement is being requested, the petition should include a statement from the major professor or graduate adviser and the graduate program chair explaining the change. Prior coursework can also be considered and substituted to meet degree requirements via approval of the faculty representative who can approve substitutions.

Active/Inactive Status

Matriculated students are considered inactive if they have not enrolled for four or more consecutive semesters without notifying the Office of Graduate Studies. They must be formally readmitted before they can re-enroll in classes. Inactive students required to reapply must meet the admission standards in effect at the time of readmission and are expected to meet degree requirements in effect at that time as well. The application fee does not apply to students seeking readmission after a period of inactivity.