Planning an Undergraduate Academic Program

Degree Residency Requirement

  • A minimum of 30 credits must be earned at UW-Green Bay.
  • The minimum credit residency requirement for a major is 15 credits.
  • The minimum credit residency requirement for a minor is 9 credits.
  • One half of the upper-level requirements for any major, minor, etc., must be earned at UW-Green Bay.

A student who has completed the junior year and meets the residency requirement, but cannot complete the senior year in residence for reasons of employment transfer, marriage, or other cause, can graduate from UW-Green Bay. Appropriate courses taken at another university as a substitute for senior year residence at UW-Green Bay can be selected with an adviser. Selected courses must then be approved by the chairperson of the student’s major and, if necessary, by the appropriate academic dean.

Note: Credits earned at the undergraduate and graduate level through the Credit for Prior Learning process (e.g., standardized examinations, challenge exams, portfolio development) may not be used to satisfy UW-Green Bay Degree Residency Requirements for degrees, major and minors.

Guidelines for Majors and Minors

  • Majors will consist of a minimum of 30 credits with at least 24 credits at the upper level.
  • Minors will consist of a minimum of 18 credits with at least 12 credits at the upper level. The three exceptions are Music, Art, and Theatre.
  • The official transcript will include only type of degree and date earned;  major(s), minor(s), and All-University Honors, Distinction in the Major and any Semester Honors achieved. Certificates are only transcribed if a Bachelor's degree is earned.
  • Diplomas will carry only the degree (B.A., B.S., etc.) and All-University Honors if achieved.
  • Overlapping of requirements for majors, minors, and professional programs with the general education requirements is permitted.
    • Courses may not count for two requirements in a major, minor, professional program or general education.
  • Majors, minors and professional programs may declare that their requirements are valid for a maximum period of five years following the final approval of a student’s academic plan.

Earning a Second Bachelor’s Degree at UW-Green Bay

Currently, UW-Green Bay has no dual degree programs. Students who have earned a first baccalaureate degree from UW-Green Bay may earn a second, distinct baccalaureate degree by completing a minimum of 30 additional undergraduate credits in residence subsequent to the awarding of the first degree and by satisfying all major requirements for the second degree. If the interdisciplinary requirement was previously met, in their first degree, a student may earn the subsequent degree/major without completing a second interdisciplinary major or minor, unless by student choice. The subsequent 30 credit requirement should include a minimum of 15 credits that are used to satisfy the requirements for the major as part of the second degree. The two bachelor’s degrees earned must have different degree designations (e.g., BS, BA, BAS, BBA, BSN, BSW)


Students with Two or More Majors

Students who declare two or more majors at the same time are granted only one baccalaureate degree and receive only one diploma upon graduation. If the majors declared have different degree designations, then the student must choose which degree they want to receive. All successfully completed majors are recorded on the student’s academic transcript.


The University of Wisconsin Green Bay offers certificates to provide students the opportunity to develop focused expertise in select academic areas, as a means to further their employability, or to enhance their professional qualifications.  All certificate programs must have an executive committee which oversees the offering of the certificate.  In establishing a new certificate, a clear rationale must be provided by the Executive Committee detailing the purpose and value of that certificate.

Requirements for Certificates

All certificates must have a minimum of 12 required credits.  Those credits can be any combination of lower and upper level courses.

The certificate may be either associated with an academic program or a stand-alone certificate (i.e. a certificate that is not associated with an academic program).  If the certificate is a stand-alone certificate, it must demonstrate that it provides for increased employability or enhanced professional qualifications for anyone receiving the certificate.

The Executive Committee’s membership must include a minimum of three tenured faculty members. The committee can be an existing Executive Committee, such as a budgetary unit or department, or can be developed among interested faculty.   The committee must meet at least once a year and forward copies of minutes for all meetings to the Provost’s Office. 

The Executive Committee must appoint an advisor for the certificate or have the chair serve that function.  The advisor or chair advises students and performs necessary administrative tasks such as approving substitutions.

In order to be awarded a certificate, a student must have a minimum 2.0 Grade Point Average in the certificate’s courses and earn 9 credits or one half the total required credits, whichever is greater, in residency at UWGB. The Executive Committee may establish a Grade Point Average higher than 2.0 or additional criteria that must be met to earn a certificate.

Students must declare that they are pursuing a Certificate Program by filing a Declaration of Major/Minor/Certificate form.

The Registrar’s Office transcribes certificates earned on an academic record when a student completes a degree.  Certificate Executive Committees may print and award a separate certificate of completion.