Master of Science in Data Science
The University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, the University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire, the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, the University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh, the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point, and the University of Wisconsin – Superior in collaboration with the University of Wisconsin – Extension are offering a Master’s of Science in Data Science. This master’s program is entirely online and will teach you how to harness the power of big data using the latest tools and analytical methods. The program focuses on how to clean, organize, analyze, and interpret structured and unstructured data, deriving knowledge and communicating your discoveries clearly to stakeholders. It is a 12-course, 36 credit program and is taught by expert faculty.
This program will prepare you to how to realize value from big data and make better decisions. The insight gained could help organizations public, private or non-profit in enhancing customer engagement, optimizing operations, identifying and preventing fraud, and generating new sources of revenue among others. The program offerings are relevant for virtually any industry- health care, retail, marketing, manufacturing, transportation, communication, education, insurance, finance, security, law enforcement, and more.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- 3.0 grade point average. Applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0 may be considered for provisional admission.
- UW System application form (apply.wisconsin.edu)
- $56.00 application fee
- Prerequisite courses: Recent coursework in elementary statistics, introductory computer programming and introduction to databases. Relevant work experience can be considered in lieu of this coursework. Contact the Chair of the MS in Data Science Program for details.
- Official transcripts from colleges and universities previously attended*
- Official transcripts from colleges and universities previously attended
- If you attended less than 9 credits you do not have to send an official transcript unless the courses completed were pre-requisites for the program. Study abroad transcripts are not required if a student attended an international University for one or fewer semesters. The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay retains the right to request additional official transcripts from all/or additional postsecondary institutions of higher learning attended by an applicant.
- A personal statement of up to 1,000 words describing the reasons behind your decision to pursue this degree and what you believe you will bring to the data science field. Space for the personal statement is included in the online application.
- Two letters of evaluation**
- MSDS Questionnaire: Applicants must complete this questionnaire https://uwgreenbay.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_43pAC2VwLpZ3sJ7
- International students will also need to provide the following documentation:
- A test of English proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS)
- Course-by-course transcript evaluation from a professional evaluation service currently recognized by NACES (www.naces.org). UW-Green Bay recommends one of the following evaluation services:
- Please note that this program is entirely online. International students are welcome to apply for and enroll in an online program. However, they are unable to apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa based on enrollment in this program.
*Official electronic transcripts must be sent to UWGB Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org directly from the institution that issued the transcript.
**The Data Science letter of evaluation is an electronic form the applicant initiates and sends to two references. The references must complete the form and email directly to the Office of Graduate Studies: email@example.com. Information on this process will be provided to the applicant after the UW System application has been received. Traditional letters of recommendation are not required.
|DS 700||Foundations of Data Science||3|
|DS 705||Statistical Methods||3|
|DS 710||Programming for Data Science||3|
|DS 715||Data Warehousing||3|
|DS 730||Big Data: High-Performance Computing||3|
|DS 735||Communicating About Data||3|
|DS 740||Data Mining||3|
|DS 745||Visualization and Unstructured Data Analysis||3|
|DS 760||Ethics of Data Science||3|
|DS 775||Prescriptive Analytics||3|
|DS 780||Data Science and Strategic Decision Making||3|
Progress to Degree
- The candidate applies to the Master of Science in Data Science program by submitting the appropriate application materials.
- The candidate is admitted to the Master of Science in Data Science program by the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay program Chair.
- The student fulfills the degree requirements for the program.
- The student is awarded a Master of Science in Data Science degree from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
The Master of Science in Data Science program is a collaboration between UW Extended Campus and six UW System campuses - UW-Eau Claire, UW-Green Bay, UW-La Crosse, UW-Oshkosh, UW-Stevens Point, and UW-Superior. All courses in this online program are developed and taught by University of Wisconsin Data Science faculty. To learn more about the faculty, please visit: