Courses and Related Policies

Course-Related Policies

Course requisites:

Requisites indicate the minimum level of proficiency or background knowledge needed to successfully achieve course objectives. Requisites are enforced, included in the course descriptions and are indicated in the Schedule of Classes by the designation P.

Recommended courses:

Recommended courses are typically lower-level courses that students are advised to complete prior to enrolling in a course. They are advisory (i.e., not enforced), so students may enroll without completing prior recommended courses, but they do so at their own risk. Recommended prior courses are indicated in the course descriptions by the designation REC.

Course registration restrictions (other than requisites):

Course can have other restrictions preventing enrollment.

Closed course:

no seats are available


seats are held for a certain period of time for students in a certain class level, student group or major/minor

Time conflict:

two courses delivered at the same time


student must gain instructor or department consent to enroll


In performance courses requiring an audition, students are responsible for making their own arrangements for the audition before classes begin.

Policy Regarding Undergraduate/Graduate Core Courses

This policy is intended to establish guidelines by which graduate-level students can enroll in undergraduate courses and undergraduate-level students can enroll in graduate courses. It is not intended to replace any other policies or procedures regarding the taking of classes, tuition, and segregated fees.

Graduate Students Who Want to Enroll in Undergraduate-Level Courses in the Same Semester:

  • Students must gain permission from instructor to enroll in the course using the Course Registration/Late Add form by clicking here.
  • If permission is granted the Registrar's office will contact student with confirmation of enrollment or further instruction if permission is denied. If the student has questions they should email the Green Bay One Stop Shop at
  • Course tuition and fees are assessed based on the level of the course taken.
  • Undergraduate courses cannot fulfill a graduate degree course requirement.
  • Course data is annotated on the transcript by level of course.
  • Students who want to take an undergraduate course prior to their graduate degree program should submit an application for admission as a non-degree seeking course taker with admissions. More information here.

Undergraduates Who Want to Enroll in Graduate-Level Courses:

  • Students must submit a graduate application for admission as a non-degree seeking student.
  • Students must also gain permission from instructor to enroll in the course using the Course Registration/Late Add form by clicking here.
  • Enrollment and permission to enter graduate-level courses is not guaranteed and may not be granted if student has not yet completed their Bachelor's degree.
  • If student is admitted as a graduate special student and permission is granted for enrollment the Registrar's office will contact student to confirm enrollment or provide further instruction if permission is denied. If the student has questions they should email the Green Bay One Stop Shop at
  • Course tuition and fees are assessed based on the level of the course taken.
  • Graduate credits can satisfy undergraduate degree course requirements through the established University substitution process.
  • Course data is annotated on the transcript by level of course.

Undergraduates Seeking Enrollment in Undergraduate-Graduate Integrated Programs:

  • Interested undergraduate students must receive official acceptance into a desired program’s integrated-undergraduate student emphasis.

    • Students must have at least junior standing to apply.

    • Students must carry a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.

    • Students must provide a letter of sponsorship from a UW-Green Bay faculty member.

  • Admitted students enroll at the graduate level in select graduate courses. Admitted integrated students are eligible to enroll in up to a maximum of 15 graduate credits prior to obtaining their Bachelor’s degree, although individual programs may allow fewer.

  • Integrated undergraduate students pay tuition at the undergraduate rate, as these credits apply directly to their undergraduate major.

  • Integrated students graduate with an undergraduate major.

  • Following graduation, students can request formal admission into relevant campus graduate programs, applying no more than 15 graduate credits into the partnering graduate program of study, although individual programs may accept fewer credits.

  • Graduate students adhere to all graduate student expectations and pay full graduate tuition rates.

Cross-Listed Courses

Graduate students may register without special permission for graduate-level courses that are offered at the same day/time as courses at the undergraduate level.  Courses are numbered XXX-500 to XXX-595 and XXX-600 to XXX-695 and listed in the graduate section of the Schedule of Classes.

Enrollment outside of Degree Sought

Students who are pursuing one degree but seek enrollment in another graduate level program should contact the Graduate Studies office or Program Advisor as specific permission may be needed for enrollment. UW Green Bay has three collaborative programs of study including Data Science, Health and Wellness Management and Sustainable Management. A permission number is needed for enrollment and tuition and fees will differ because of the collaboration of several UW System institutions.

Graduate Assigned Study

Other undergraduate courses at the 300 and 400 level that are offered, may be taken for graduate credit if they contribute to a coherent program of study. A Graduate Assigned Study Form must be approved by the faculty instructor of the course and is submitted to the Green Bay One Stop Shop for completion of enrollment. To obtain the form click here.

Academic standards for graduate-level credit exceed standards for undergraduate credit. Increased standards may be in the form of additional academic work and/or an increase in grading standards. Students should be aware of the requisites required for cross-listed or approved courses.

Experimental Courses

From time to time, graduate faculty may offer courses in response to special demand, to address current issues, or to make use of special resources offered by visiting faculty. These are offered once on an experimental basis, and numbered 783 with a specific topic or 783X (alpha character) which is one unique course. These courses may later become regular course offerings. Courses offered with the 783X number may not be counted as part of the graduate core requirement.

Graduate Instructor-Approved Individualized Course Instruction

Universal Expectations

  • Regular semester add and drop deadlines apply to these enrollments.
  • Approved forms must be submitted in the semester the learning experiences are taking place; students will not be retroactively added to these learning experiences.
  • Faculty must file syllabi and include appropriate information such as student learning outcomes, time commitments for work, additional requirements for placement including, but not limited to, criminal background checks, medical testing (such as tuberculosis test) or other requirements outlined by a third party human resources department or site supervisor.
  • Courses cannot be used to replace existing courses.
  • For each credit earned there will be a weekly amount of hours worked in the learning experience as a minimum expectation. For each credit in the classroom, one hour of instruction plus two hours of outside work is expected with each course. Courses run for fifteen weeks in a given semester (14 weeks of instruction plus a finals week); thus the formula for a week’s work is 3 hours times 15 weeks equals 45 weekly hours.

Independent Study

  • Numbered XXX-798, Variable 1-3 credits.
  • Students prepare a statement of objectives and a list of readings and/or research projects that will fulfill learning outcomes, which faculty will approve.
  • Independent study courses cannot be elected on an audit or pass/no credit graded basis.
  • Independent studies may be taken only with a regular member of the UW-Green Bay faculty or academic staff member.


  • Numbered XXX-797, Variable 1-6 credits.
  • Students prepare a statement of internship setting and working arrangement with outside intern supervisor. Work performed will fulfill course learning outcomes and be approved by faculty member.
  • Students will have a site supervisor and faculty supervisor for work performed.
  • All parties, student, faculty member and site supervisor, should discuss and set expectations regarding hours worked and performance feedback before work begins.
  • All additional requirements for hire (if any) should be identified prior to enrollment and an outline of how these will be met should be explained to the student intern.

Special Topics

  • Numbered XXX-795, Variable 1-3 credits.
  • At times, professors or groups of professors may organize courses, seminars, colloquia, field trips, and so on, around some topic of interest or special need.
  • Special courses are not intended to become part of the regular curriculum.
  • Special courses cannot be counted as part of the graduate core requirement.

Thesis or Dissertation

(Numbered XXX-796/XXX-799)
Students complete a thesis or dissertation under the supervision of a major professor and committee.  The thesis and dissertation provide graduate students the opportunity to apply their course work and independent investigation skills to increase knowledge. Successful completion of a thesis or dissertation demonstrates a student’s ability to manage a project, and to define, research, and solve problems. The procedures for developing a proposal and completing the thesis or dissertation vary by program. Students should consult the program-specific sections of this catalog or a program’s website for additional information.  Details on thesis and dissertation committee composition can be found within the program-specific sections of this catalog.

Thesis and Dissertation Deadline: For graduation in the fall and spring semesters, a student’s defense must be held before the last day of final exams in a given semester (fall, January, or spring).  For summer, a student’s defense must be held before the last day of final exams of the final summer session.  The student then has 20 calendar days after the last day of final exams to submit their final thesis/project document to the Office of Graduate Studies and 42 calendar days after the last day of final exams for all other graduation requirements to be completed and verified.

Thesis/Capstone/Professional Project Course Enrollment

Students must complete a Thesis/Capstone level course in order to be awarded a Master Degree.  Once the student enrolls in this course the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay requires continuous enrollment until it’s completion. 

While a student may complete the course in the semester in which they initially enroll, it is anticipated that most student will take one to three semesters to complete the work associated with the course.  Should the student complete the course in the semester of enrollment, a grade will be awarded and the student permitted to graduate.  For students who take additional semesters they will receive a grade of “PR” which indicates work “In Progress”.  Further, the student will be required to either enroll in GRADUATE 693 for zero credit each semester they continue work on the final course, or enroll for additional Thesis/Capstone level course credit, or other graduate course credit.  There will be a $200 fee charged for GRADUATE 693 each semester.

The courses designated as Thesis/Capstone courses in each Master’s Degree Program are: